Join the Family Handyman 7-Day Organizing Challenge!
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
Seven days. Seven rooms. Half an hour each. Grab a friend — online works! — and buddy up to clear your clutter during our expert-guided organizing challenge. You've got this.
If you’re anything like us, all this extra time at home has meant more clutter (or maybe noticing existing clutter — no judgement). Yet somehow, there’s still not enough time to deal with it.
That’s why we teamed up with professional organizer Jamie Novak, to help you clear it out in less time than it takes to stream the latest episode of your current binge-worthy watch.
Novak designed this quick-and-easy challenge to help you tackle seven of your home’s major problem areas. The goal? To declutter and reclaim the space you’re spending more time than ever in.
Bonus: It’s a great way to connect with friends, to keep each other accountable and celebrate your daily wins.
Ready to control the chaos of home clutter? Read these challenge FAQs to find out more.
What exactly is the Family Handyman 7-Day Organizing Challenge?
The FHM 7-Day Organizing Challenge is a series of seven guided tasks, targeted to your home’s most clutter-prone areas. Mark your calendar and set a phone alert. We start on Monday, Feb. 1, and reveal one challenge on our website each day.
Each challenge requires just 30 minutes and features one timed, targeted 20-minute organizing task, plus a 10-minute quick toss. At the end of the week, you’ll find yourself with an undeniably tidier house.
But I have a lot/just a little clutter. Is this challenge for me?
Yes! It’s designed to help homeowners and apartment dwellers living with any level of clutter.
This challenge gives you the direction, motivation and connection to make change that will make a difference. Whether that’s getting the ball rolling on a bigger project or finally getting that last annoying drawer in order is up to you.
What if I have a question?
That’s the value of doing this challenge with the FHM community: Organizing expert Jamie Novak will be available to answer your questions. Simply tag your question with #FamilyHandymanDeclutterChallenge on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter, and she’ll reply!
What if I miss a day, or start after Feb. 1?
No problem! There’s no pressure to catch up. Simply jump in anytime. Your personal first day is day one.
Is there any prepwork involved?
Just a few things, to ensure you’ll make the most of each day’s 30 minutes. Here’s the list in downloadable form.
- A timer, to help you keep track of your 20 minutes (the one on your phone or the stove works);
- Basic cleaning essentials, such as microfiber cleaning towels and a multi-purpose cleaner;
- Distilled vinegar;
- Scrub brush;
- Vacuum cleaner and/or broom;
- Boxes or bags to help gather donations;
- A preferred donation spot, whether you’ll drop off or schedule a pickup (see DonationTown.org for help);
- An empty vehicle trunk or a designated spot to store donations for pickup.
- Caddy, to help you carry these supplies from room to room as you work;
- Air pump (for sports balls that need refilling);
- Peel-and-stick hooks for potential entryway streamlining.
What areas will we be covering?
You’ll spend time in each of these seven common problem areas during the challenge: kitchen, garage, family room, bedroom, bathroom, laundry room and entryway. Each day will feature back-up challenges to sub in, or add-on, for any over-achievers out there.
I’m in! How do I start?
Great! Simply go to this page on our website on Monday, Feb. 1, to start the challenge. Come back each day for the next six days for a new challenge.
Until then, complete the items on this checklist to stay motivated:
- Bookmark the challenge location on our website.
- Download, or print and hang up this free Daily Challenge Checklist to help track your success.
- Set a phone alarm and/or put a reminder in your calendar to start the challenge on Feb. 1.
- Gather everything you’ll need. (Here’s the Prep List again, to help.)
- Be sure to follow and like Family Handyman on Instagram and/or Facebook.
- Share the graphic above on your social media of choice.
- Share this post with a friend and invite them to do the challenge with you!
Meet Your Organizing Expert, Jamie Novak
This seven-day challenge is hosted by Pro Organizer Jamie Novak, author of Keep This Toss That: The Practical Guide to Tidying Up. She’s here to guide you through the assignments, sharing her insider tips to combat chaos and reset your home for a clutter-free new year.