How to Keep Your Trash Can from Flying in the Wind
Secure that trash can on windy days and a bit of peace of mind
The wind can be brutally strong at times, so powerful in fact, that it’s capable of knocking down large trees and power lines. When the wind gets that strong, it’s a wonder that we are able to keep our garbage cans from blowing away. While some people may be content with simply placing a concrete block on the bottom of the trash can. Thankfully, there are a number of simple fixes you can do that will keep your trash cans where they are supposed to be.
For when it’s not trash day:
- Attach D-rings to the side of the house or garage. Then use bungee cords to secure the trash can.
- Build a wooden or concrete block enclosure against the house to place the trash can in to keep it secure. An enclosure like this will block the wind, keeping your trash can(s) in place. An outdoor enclosure for your cans should be part of your home organization plan.
- Home repair and building stores sell products that range from movable carts to small shed structures that hold your trash cans and will keep them from blowing away. The shed structures seem to be the most popular choice among homeowners and come in a large variety of styles.
- When you don’t want the trash can close to the house, consider installing a 4×4 post into the ground, attaching a chain to it to secure the trash can to the post.
When it’s trash day:
- Try a 10-pound hand weight secured to the outside of the trash can at the bottom, if your trash collector uses machinery to grab the trash. Just make sure it’s secure.
- There is a magnetic trash can anchor on the web available, which secures the trash can to the ground in high winds.
- Build a little fenced in area where the trash can is able to fit comfortably so the mechanical arm of the trash can is able to pick it up and put it back smoothly.
The solution you decide to use will ultimately depend on your budget and of course, the look you desire. In any case, none of these solutions are difficult to install and you’ll have your cans secured in no time.