The 6 Best Bed Frames: Framework for a Good Night’s Rest
Transform your bedroom into a cozy sanctuary with six expertly-selected bed frames.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
Let’s face it: There are tons of bed frames on the market, which sometimes makes the selection process harder than it needs to be. Should you go with a platform bed or a traditional box spring? Perhaps a tufted headboard would look nice, or maybe no headboard at all?
Choosing a great bed is about more than just the mattress. Your bed is the centerpiece of your bedroom, the place where you spend at least 33% of your day. It’s also a choice you’ll live with for years, so you’ll want to make sure you pick correctly for your needs and space.
The right bed frame can do so much for your bedroom. It can add storage or make even the smallest bedroom feel like the most luxurious room in your house. You need a bed that fits the look you’re going for and is sturdy enough to serve as the foundation of your sleeping spot. Ready to get the process started? Check out our six favorite bed frames on the market (no matter what you’re looking for!):
The 6 Best Bed Frames
- Best Overall Bed Frame: Zinus Shalini Upholstered Platform Bed
- Best Budget Bed Frame: Flolinda Tufted Headboard Bed Frame
- Best Metal Bed Frame: Primus Metal Bed Frame
- Best Minimalist Bed Frame: Tara Low Profile Platform Bed
- Best Bed Frame for Kids: Max & Lily Modern Farmhouse Low Loft Bed
- Best Rustic Bed Frame: Farmhouse Canopy Bed
Best Overall Bed Frame
Zinus Shalini Upholstered Platform Bed Frame
The Shalini Platform Bed has an upholstered headboard and sides, sophisticated stitching and tufting and a sturdy steel frame that can hold up to 700 pounds. Additionally, you can even choose a version with a built-in USB port so you don’t have to get up to charge your phone. We’re also impressed with the five-year warranty and reasonable price tag. Oh, and did we mention the easy assembly process? Zinus conveniently packages all your needed supplies in the zippered compartment at the back of the headboard. You’ll be catching Z’s in no time!
- Available in light gray, dark gray or beige
- Durable interior steel framework and dense foam padding
- Everything is included for easy assembly
- Rear storage zipper on the headboard
- Low with a set of middle legs, so not much room for underneath storage
Best Bargain Bed Frame
Flolinda Tufted Headboard Bed Frame
The tall suede-like headboard gives this tufted bed frame an elegant look for less than $200. The center support and sides are made with sturdy, flattened steel, and the slats are curved instead of flat. It’s a platform bed, so you’ll save money on a box spring as well. Plus, the high headboard means you’ll have all the room in the world for your favorite pillows. And thanks to the plush velvet covering, this bed frame looks much more luxurious than you’d expect for the price.
- Affordable price
- Slats lock into place
- Numbered pieces for easy assembly
- Headboard is tall enough for a thicker mattress
- Frame itself sits lower to the ground
Best Metal Bed Frame
Primus Metal Bed
The handmade iron frame on the Primus Metal Bed is a timeless classic that traces its roots to early 20th-century industrial design. It embodies the spirit of this design style thanks to its slender cast iron frame that’s eye-catching without overwhelming the room. Paint your room in a variety of complementary colors to match the simplicity of this bed frame.
- Powder-coated metal adds extra durability
- Adjustable levelers for stability on uneven surfaces
- Sturdy frame can hold up to 600 lbs
- Compatible with adjustable mattresses
- May need to retighten hardware over time
Best Minimalist Bed Frame
Tara Low Profile Platform Bed
The acacia wood frame on this platform bed adds a natural detail to your bedroom, while the low profile matches the slick modern design that’s popular today. We love that this specific bed frame doesn’t need a box spring: Simply assemble the budget-friendly platform bed per the instructions, and you’ll be ready to add your mattress in no time. Sweet dreams!
- Low profile to fit under windows
- Easy to assemble
- 5-year warranty included
- Made from environmentally sustainable wood
- Grain color variation
Best Bed Frame for Kids
Max & Lily Modern Farmhouse Low Loft Bed
Need to make the most of the space in a small bedroom? This low loft bed has a nook underneath for a play space, a built-in drawer, and a shelf—all with a clean, rustic style. The loft on top handles an 8-inch deep mattress while leaving the rails high enough for safety. Additionally, the ladder opening can be installed on either the right or left side.
- Many built-in options for kids
- Available in three finishes
- Supports up to 400 lbs
- Constructed with pine
- Assembly can be challenging
Best Rustic Bed Frame
Farmhouse Canopy Bed
Originally, canopy beds were created to offer sleepers additional warmth and privacy. That’s less of a concern nowadays where so many have their own bedrooms, but the classic look is still popular. This farmhouse canopy bed from Pottery Barn looks like an heirloom, thanks to its fine handmade craftsmanship. Plus, if you want to check out one of four finishes before purchasing, you can order a small sample of the wood to make sure it goes with your bedroom vision. How cool is that?
- Four rustic finishes
- Compatible with an adjustable mattress base
- Features a removable canopy top
- Available in California King size
- Pricier than other bed frame options
What to Consider When Buying a Bed Frame
When looking for the best bed frames, you need to consider more than appearance. Do you want a higher profile bed or one lower to the floor? Will you need to add storage underneath? Are you looking for a headboard soft enough to lean against for watching TV or reading? Today’s consideration is whether you want a more traditional setup with a box spring or the popular platform bed, which uses sturdy slats. Remember that sometimes you need to order the slats separately.
Types of Bed Frames
- Platform beds are available in several styles, from ones with flat edges to integrated versions with headboards and a more finished look. Make sure that the slats are included and that they’re close enough for good support.
- Integrated bed frames usually include a headboard. A freestanding platform bed has a platform and legs that support the mattress. Add a headboard separately to achieve your desired look.
- Wood or metal frames are usually cheaper, but they can also be noisier. If the bed has wooden supports or slats, make sure they are made of hardwoods like beech or poplar.
How We Found the Best Bed Frames
As shopping experts, our only job is to help you find a winning product. We start with the research and reporting basics—what products are made of, what they look like and how much they cost—to ensure that we’re only recommending the buys that are worth your time and money. Then, we research the features that speak to the product’s quality, taking advice from industry insiders and subject-matter experts on what makes a product a smart value (or worthy of a splurge). Finally, we do the work of combing through user reviews to see how real people interact with the product, and if it stands up to the test.
What’s the strongest bed frame type?
Some of the best bed frames are made from steel because they are usually the strongest. Most can hold up to 800 pounds including the mattress. Make sure the metal is strong and isn’t going to squeak every time you move.
How long should a bed frame last?
A wooden bed frame should last at least 10 years or about as long as a mattress. Metal frames—particularly steel—can last up to 20 years.
Shop smarter with our expert recommendations for tools, gear and money-saving deals on can’t miss DIY and home products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.