The Best Firewood Racks of 2022
Outdoor firewood racks keeps wood off the ground, neatly stacked and ready for the next firepit or fireplace gathering.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
Firewood racks organize split wood and keep kindling dry. Adding the right rack to your space is one of the most important parts of building a fire pit or sprucing up your existing backyard fire pit, keeping wood within reach.
What To Look for When Buying Firewood Racks
Unless you have a log-free outdoor gas fire pit, you’re going to need a firewood rack. Choosing a model made of fire and heat-resistant materials like steel or wrought iron is top priority. Outdoor firewood racks should be made of weather-resistant materials or coated with rust-preventing finishes.
Choosing the right size rack depends on how much wood you plan to burn. If you’re using less than a quarter cord of firewood each season, a small to medium rack that handles up to 250 pounds works nicely. Larger-capacity racks are best for homes that rely on burning wood as a source of heat.
We looked at each rack’s construction materials, ease of assembly, weather resistance and price to determine the best in each category. Real customer reviews were also considered, as well as warranties and accessory components like kindling racks.
Best Firewood Rack Overall
Solo Stove Station
The Solo Stove Station has a flexible, low-profile design that redefines backyard organization. This dual-shelf unit lets you store firewood logs two rows deep, leaving plenty of room for stashing fire pit tools and hanging up to 250 pounds of outdoor fireplace accessories.
The roll-down, outdoor-rated fabric cover is available in original black or premium ash gray. It features a PVC coating to protect against moisture and the elements. Plus, it keeps your deck or patio neat and tidy. The sturdy, cold-rolled aluminum Solo Stove Station is also backed by a lifetime warranty.
- Low-profile design with two shelves makes this an ideal choice for outdoor spaces of most sizes
- Storage spaces for accessories and tools
- Roll-down cover
- Aluminum construction
- Moderate price point
- Modest size not large enough to service large homes using upwards of a quarter cord of firewood each winter
Best Value Firewood Rack
Amagabeli Firewood Log Rack with Cover
For a highly rated firewood rack that offers an exceptional value, the Amagabeli outdoor firewood rack is a strong choice. It holds and protects a whole season’s worth of firewood. This stand assembles in a matter of minutes without tools and is easy enough for novice DIYers to complete. It’s ideal for a porch, deck, shed, garage or covered patio. With over 1,000 Amazon ratings and a nearly-perfect 4.4-star average, it’s also one of the most popular covered options.
One five-star reviewer, Cliff, writes, “It’s sturdy, held the weight of a face cord without bending. The cover is plenty baggy enough to fit 24-in. logs with room. I was afraid it would be like fitting a grill cover on, but it’s nice.”
- An exceptional value for a large eight-ft. firewood rack
- Fits larger logs as well as smaller cuts
- Comes with a waterproof cover
- Sits comfortably in a garage, shed or porch
- Easy, quick assembly
- Also comes in smaller sizes
- Cover may not hold up against blizzards and exceptional amounts of snow
Best Splurge Firewood Rack
Pottery Barn Geometric Firewood Rack
Give your covered outdoor living space extra panache with the angular lines and minimalist style of the Pottery Barn geometric firewood rack. Pair the rack with modern outdoor furniture to make the ultimate exterior art statement. This firewood rack combines form and function in striking fashion, and the high quality materials add value.
- Designed to be a conversation-starting piece of modern art
- High-end gunmetal coating
- Geometric design that offers striking lines against modern backdrops
- 48 inches wide for medium-capacity storage
- Only 12 inches deep
- Best used in a covered outdoor area like a porch to protect the finish
Best Firewood Rack on Amazon
Phi Villa Curved Firewood Rack
The elegant curved nature of this Phi Villa curved firewood rack makes it a conversation-worthy architectural detail. Beyond its beauty you’ll find 40 inches of reinforced brawn that can handle plenty of your heaviest firewood. The high-density solid iron frame can hold up to 400 pounds at any given time, a feature that has earned it nearly 1,000 Amazon ratings. The narrow footprint leaves plenty of space for creative fire pit seating ideas.
“This log rack is enough for at least two to three evenings of wood in our fireplace,” writes verified Amazon purchaser, Cindy DiCarlo. “We didn’t want something massive that held a lot of weight since it is on our pvc-composite deck. Be careful not to over-tighten bolts, but do each side alternating so you don’t make it uneven. It’s aesthetically pleasing when loaded with wood and really sturdy construction. It was very easy to assemble also.”
- Almost 1,000 Amazon reviews with a nearly perfect 4.5-star average
- Affordable price point
- Holds up to 400 pounds of wood
- Sturdy iron construction
- Smaller size means it’s best for outdoor fire pit wood storage or just a few nights of fireplace fuel
Best Large-Capacity Firewood Rack
ShelterLogic Heavy-Duty Firewood Rack
The ShelterLogic 12-foot heavy-duty firewood rack holds an incredible amount of split firewood to get you through a long, cold winter. It also keeps logs off the ground and away from moisture, meaning less mold, rot and bug infestation.
What’s more, the open design of this humongous holder allows air to flow freely, promoting proper wood seasoning. That results in less smoke and creosote build-up in your fireplace. It also includes a cover. Just make sure you keep it several feet away from the actual fire, one of the most important fire pit safety tips.
- 12-ft. large capacity size
- Steel firewood rack holds 3/5 cord of wood
- One year warranty
- Moderate price
- Increased air flow compared to other firewood rack designs
- Setup isn’t difficult, but the components are large so you may need a second set of hands
Best Small Firewood Rack
Adamczyk Metal Log Rack
Stack wood neatly and decoratively outside, on the back porch or balcony, with the Adamczyk metal log rack. It’s a smart space-saving solution for apartment and RV dwellers thanks to its compact 17-in. width. This steel rack holds enough logs for a wood stove or chiminea, and it folds to store in a utility closet or small shed.
- Compact 17-in. width is perfect for storing just a few logs at a time
- Neatly stows away in corners and cabinets
- No assembly required
- Affordable price
- While ideal for running a wood stove or pit for just a few hours, if you rely on burning wood as a heat source this rack will be too tiny
Most Stylish Firewood Rack
Personalized log holder
This handmade black metal personalized log holder is a stylish accent for indoor and outdoor fireplaces. It’s compact for small spaces, yet sturdy and durable enough to hold all of your fireplace essentials like wood and tools. Plus, the personalization box allows last names, special dates or thoughts to be commemorated forever. How’s that for a cozy feeling?
- Stylish black metal with carved-out nature designs
- Personalization available
- Compact enough to transport alongside fire pit ring inserts
- Fits neatly next to most indoor and outdoor fireplaces
- Solid metal base
- Higher price point (but handmade with quality materials)
Best Firewood Rack with Kindling Holder
Doeworks Firewood Rack
Wood may be the fuel, but kindling is the starter. This Doeworks firewood rack with gently curving I-beam reinforcements stays extra sturdy while keeping firewood neat and organized. The adjustable side hook, for suspending kindling, faces in to save space, or out to make more room for logs.
A verified Amazon reviewer, J. Smith, gave this Doeworks firewood rack five stars. “I like that we can place the kindling rack on the inside or outside of the wood rack, or leave it off altogether.”
- Removable kindling rack
- Gently curved I-beam reinforcements
- Adjustable components
- Included firewood bag
- Affordable price point
- Relatively shallow 13-in. depth isn’t ideal for longer log cuts
Best Wheeled Firewood Rack
Sunnydaze Firewood Log Cart
Haul wood smarter, not harder! Forged of sturdy black tubular steel and mounted on two 10-in. pneumatic wheels, the combo Sunnydaze firewood log cart and storage rack ensures that wood is always close at hand. Put it near the woodpile and fill it with approximately 25 pieces, depending on size.
We appreciate this dolly for its durability and maneuverability. It rolls right up to your outdoor fireplace, wood stove or fire pit for easy off-loading. It saves your aching back!
- Back-saving wheels make transporting firewood a breeze
- Medium capacity can hold about 25 average-size pieces of firewood
- Dolly-style design
- Sturdy metal construction, but not designed to be left outdoors uncovered for long stretches of time
Best DIY Firewood Rack
SnugNiture Firewood Storage Bracket Kit
Besides the very reasonable price, the SnugNiture outdoor firewood storage rack bracket kit lets you customize your log-holding capacity. It works based on the amount of firewood you have (or don’t!). This fun kit for DIYers includes two orange brackets (13-in. x 4-in. x 6-in.) plus 25 screws. Simply attach the brackets to six two-by-fours (not included) in any length. It assembles in minutes.
“I must say this is way better than what I had,” writes verified Amazon purchaser Dave Ortiz. “This system allows you to make it as big or small as you like. I painted the 2x4s to match the wall. My friends come over and always compliment how cool it looks. This is a great value and super cool design.”
- The complete bracket kit allows DIYers to choose their wood for custom firewood racks
- Adjustable size
- Affordable price
- Takes just a few minutes to assemble
- Includes all hardware
- Requires about 20 minutes of assembly, but most DIYers happily report it being worth the minor time investment
Best Hoop-Style Firewood Rack
Minuteman International Wrought Iron Indoor Log Rack
The handsome Minuteman International wrought iron indoor log rack is one of the best minimalist hoop-style indoor firewood racks. The sturdy, versatile design is durable enough to be used in a garage or mud room, yet stylish enough to sit front and center in the family room. It can easily hold an eighth of a cord, and stores medium-sized split wood thanks to a practical 18.5-in. depth. The modern black powder coating works well to a variety of home design styles.
- Minimalist black hoop-design
- Ideal for indoor use, but sturdy enough to live in a mud room, garage or covered porch
- Elegant black powder coating
- 18.5-in. depth supports most average logs and split wood sizes
- Indoor firewood racks can’t be exposed to harsh elements like rain or snow for prolonged periods of time.
Do I need a rack to store firewood?
Keeping firewood dry and slightly elevated is one of the most important steps in preparing a fireplace or fire pit. That’s because damp, moldy wood doesn’t burn well (if at all). Having an aerated platform like a firewood rack is definitely essential.
What size firewood rack do I need?
Choosing the right size depends on how you use wood. If you’re only using a few pieces of split wood each week to fuel a campfire, firewood racks under 48 inches are probably fine. Heating an entire home with wood throughout the coldest months requires larger models. Large firewood racks should be able to accommodate at least a quarter of a cord to keep wood neat and within reach.
Where should I place my firewood rack?
Keep firewood racks away from fire sources. A good rule of thumb is to have firewood at least five feet away from fires. This keeps wood close enough to access easily without risking embers or sparks flying into your pile. Ideally, any outdoor fire pit or ring will be at least 30 feet from your home anyway. Indoor firewood racks can be placed on walls adjacent to or opposite fireplaces.
Shop smarter with our expert recommendations for tools, gear and money-saving deals on can’t miss DIY and home products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.