12 Best Car Floor Mats to Upgrade Your Ride
The best car floor mats save your auto's interiors and make cleaning a breeze.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
Looking for a way to instantly add functionality to your car or truck? Upgrading your car floor mats to performance-specific versions is an easy choice.
They’re some of the best car accessories that actually stand up to real life. And they’re easy to take out and clean. One pass of a car vacuum, rinse, and you’re done.
It’s important to toss old mats with caked-on road salts every few years, but there’s no reason to spend a fortune on new ones. We picked some of the best reasonably-priced high-performance mats on the market to suit every style, budget and vehicle size.
P.S. You might appreciate the Chemical Guys New Car Smell Air Freshener to keep your car smelling brand new — we’ve reviewed it, too!
What to Look for When Buying Car Floor Mats
Swapping out car floor mats is one of those car maintenance tasks you can do on your own and usually takes less than a minute or two to complete. Choosing a universal size that fits most current car models is simplest. But you can always find a specialty size based on older footwell design, or for a larger vehicle like a commercial truck.
Opting for waterproof materials like rubber is generally best and one of the car cleaning secrets detailers swear by. Rubber locks out stains, mud and other grime from the start.
If you’re prone to a busy or messy lifestyle, check out mats with deeper grooves and ridges. These can help easily remove dirt from shoes and trap it away until you’re ready for your next mat cleaning.
We considered highly-rated products on Amazon with lots of favorable reviews. We favored floor mats in universal sizes for cars, sedans and trucks. Budget-friendly, low-maintenance and all-weather mats won out overall, but a handful of higher-end and design-focused matching car mats in eye-catching sets also made our list.
Best Overall Car Floor Mats
These high-quality all-season Armor All All-Season floor mats offer a universal fit — an easy choice for most cars and sedans. Reviewers note the deep treads and durable design that prevents cracking. We also love the trim-to-fit customizable perimeter that lets these mats sit snuggly in smaller footwells and sports cars.
These come in various set sizes as well as lighter and heavier weights. Three neutral colors lend well to most interiors. When they need a refresh, hose them down with some soapy water — one of our favorite car cleaning tips.
- Deep treads and thick all-weather rubber;
- Nearly 20,000 Amazon reviews and a 4.5 star rating;
- Available in three neutral colors;
- Various sets available;
- Affordable price;
- Built-in carpet claws.
- Not wide enough to fit large SUVs and trucks.
Best Value Car Floor Mats
A set of four OxGord Luxe car mats is the budget-friendly find you can’t afford to pass up. At less than $20, these stain-resistant polypropylene carpet-style pieces are one of Amazon’s bestselling car accessories.
Amazon reviewers rave about how easy they are to use and install. They love the neutral color offerings and bottom spikes that grip floors with more gusto than pricier options. The carpet-style format makes these effortless to clear with hand vacuums, like the top-rated ThisWorx car vacuum.
“I really like these mats,” writes five-star verified Amazon purchaser Tide. “They slipped right into my Benz. They grip the floor really well and they have a non-carpeted surface on the driver’s mat so that it will not be worn out from so much use. I am very happy with this purchase. I couldn’t find any mats nearly this nice at this incredible price!”
- Extremely affordable;
- Available in several neutral shades, a print and even bright pink;
- Easy to wash synthetic carpet-style fibers.
- Not customizable, but does fit most standard cars and sedans.
Best Heavy-Duty Car Floor Mats for Snow
If you live in a cold climate that requires the best snow blowers and shovels, you probably also need heavy-duty floor mats for four-wheel-drive vehicles.
These thick rubber Motor Trend FlexTough car floor mats feature a versatile universal fit. The deep ridges and pocketed design traps slush, dirt and debris so it won’t leave your ride a mess. The best part? They stand up to chemical salt melt products.
- Deep grooves and pocketing trap slush, snow and mud;
- Extra-thick heavy-duty rubber;
- Available in six shades;
- Comes in two set sizes;
- Universal trim-to-fit sizing;
- More than 84,000 reviews and a 4.3-star rating,
- These are heavy and take up considerable space, so they’re not ideal for shallow footwells or sports cars.
Best Splurge Car Floor Mats
Treats your car floors to these brilliantly-designed WeatherTech all-weather car floor mats. They feature multiple deep grooves and thick reinforced rubber construction to stand up to just about anything you throw at it.
The best part? The half-inch lip around the perimeter prevents water, snow slush and potentially-damaging road salt from ruining your car’s interiors. They also have non-slip treads, and manufacturer says the PVC-free flexible rubber shouldn’t crack or break even with frequent use.
- Crack-free and break-resistant PVC-free rubber stands up to years of frequent use and abuse;
- Additional half-inch lip around the perimeter;
- Deep treads;
- A 4.6 customer rating on Amazon.
- Some Amazon reviewers note that they’re “tricky” to custom-trim.
Best Tan Interior Car Floor Mats
Believe it or not, it’s hard to find a good neutral floor mat that suits tan and beige interiors. Most popular floor mats come in black or gray, which makes these FH Group Tan Classic Rubber Mats an unbeatable find.
The universal fit suits most cars, SUVs and pickups, and the mats can be trimmed to your car’s specific dimensions. They’re also easy to wash and vacuum, and are affordable enough to buy a backup set or two.
- Neutral tan shade compliments most tan and beige interiors;
- Universal sizing fits most vehicles;
- Easy washing and maintenance;
- Deep channels and edges trap spills and mud;
- Affordable price.
- Not ideal for heavy-duty professional-grade work vehicles.
Best Car Floor Mats for Pickup Trucks and SUVs
Your pickup truck or SUV likely has a larger footwell than a typical car, which is why these Armor All Truck/SUV rubber mats are so perfect. They’re made of heavy-duty rubber with extra-deep treads. They also have trimmable perimeters and anti-slip claws that latch onto your car’s carpet interior without damaging it.
Offered in sets starting at two pieces, these come in three versatile shades. You can also purchase matching cargo liners. Sedan drivers seem to love them too.
“Wow, these are heavy-duty!” writes verified Amazon purchaser LawyerforJustice. “I ordered these for my mid-size sedan. Apparently, I didn’t read the title of the product very well, because I didn’t realize these were for SUVs and trucks.
“I ordered them because the four-piece all-weather mats that I originally wanted were not available. But as luck would have it, these fit perfectly!”
- Fits larger footwells in SUVs and trucks;
- Extra heavy-duty rubber;
- Deep treads and anti-slip claws on the bottom;
- Three neutral color offerings;
- Moderate price;
- Easy trimming for customizable size;
- Cargo liner available as well;
- No rubbery smell.
- Heavier weight can be cumbersome to install and remove.
Best Amazon Car Floor Mats
These universal trim-to-fit Amazon Basics all-weather mats are the affordable in-house answer to more expensive mats, and a choice Amazon reviewers can’t stop raving about.
With two neutral colors, two rubber weights and customizable sizing, there’s something for everyone. They can fit most passenger cars, SUVs and trucks. Amazon reviewers note how easy they are to trim at home for perfect customization.
“Just right for my 2007 Toyota Sequoia,” writes happy Amazon purchaser heathplumb. “Trimming was very easy with a utility knife and the cardboard box as a backing material.
“The front mats needed minimal trimming to fit. The second row needed more, but it was still very easy to do. The larger mat was cut in half to give me a third-row mat and trunk mat. I was even able to cut holes in the third row mat for the seats to lock down and hold the mat in place.”
- Only available on Amazon;
- Universal trim-to-size;
- Neutral color offerings suit most interiors;
- Easy trimming with a box cutter or heavy-duty shears;
- Stands up to inclement weather and road salts;
- Choose from two rubber weights;
- Amazon reviewers note the shallow depth of the anti-slip claws.
Best Clear Car Floor Mats
Whether you have a stunning car interior that deserves a chance to shine through or you just love the sleek modern aesthetic of clear floor mats, these BDK Heavy-Duty Translucent Mats are the best see-through option on the market.
With a 4.7-star rating from more than 1,000 Amazon reviewers, these dazzling PVC mats are one of the most loved alternative designs on the market. They offer a universal trim-to-fit size, non-slip bottom grips and an elevated perimeter lip that traps debris, liquid and gunk.
- An Amazon’s Choice top seller;
- Translucent heavy-duty PVC;
- Non-slip grips;
- Elevated perimeter lip traps messes;
- Moderate price.
- Some Amazon reviewers note these give off a strong plastic smell for several weeks after installation
Best Car Floor Mats for Sports Cars
These eye-catching BDK Metallic Floor Mats were designed with zippy sports cars in mind. The bold metallic red hue offers protection and flashy appeal that leaves passengers impressed. They come in a universal trim-to-fit size, a various metallic shades and three or four-piece set options.
- Distinctive metallic color offerings including fire red and cobalt blue;
- Three and four-piece sets;
- Affordable price;
- Universal trim-to-size;
- Easy to wash;
- More than 9,000 Amazon reviews and a 4.4 rating.
- Not ideal for lots of snow or slush;
- Light non-slip grips make these more form than function.
Best Carpet-Style Car Floor Mats
If a cushier, carpet-like feel is more appealing to you than rugged rubber, these BDK Fresh Carpet Floor Mats offer a medium-pile carpet-like texture. They’re trimmed with faux leather for a high-end feel that works nicely in most luxury sedans and SUVs.
These softer-feel mats come in 11 neutral and eye-catching modern colors that suit every driver’s style. They’re an expensive-looking option for a bargain price.
- Soft, plush carpet-like feel;
- Faux leather trim offers a high-end touch suitable for luxury vehicles;
- Lots of color choices;
- Universal fit;
- Non-slip grips.
- Can’t be trimmed for custom fitting;
- Best suited for luxury vehicles and light use.
Best Tapered Car Floor Mats
Those who prefer a tapered style should check out FH Group Monster Eye Floor Mats. Amazon reviewers love the sturdy rubber design, non-slip grips and affordable price (less than $30).
Each set comes with two front floor mats and two rear mats. They’re a breeze to clean with a vacuum or a little soapy water, and they come in lots of exciting colors.
- Appealing tapered design;
- Comes as a set of four;
- Vivid color offerings;
- Affordable price.
- Universal size, but not meant to be trimmed;
- Not ideal for wider-set SUVs or trucks.
Best Car Floor Mats for Sand
If you spend time by the water and regularly track sand into your vehicle, these Caterpillar ToughRide Heavy-Duty Rubber Floor Mats are your new best friends.
They’re made of heavy-duty rubber with non-slip grips and feature smart channels that trap sand until you’re ready to shake the mats out or run a vacuum over them. They come in three neutral colors, and these universal trim-to-fit beauties are so easy to customize that only an ordinary scissor is needed for the job.
- Deep channels lock away sand;
- Clean-up is as easy as shaking them out;
- Moderate price;
- Heavy-duty rubber;
- Non-slip grips;
- A 4.6 rating on Amazon.
- Some reviewers note they’re too big for compact car models.
Shop smarter with our expert recommendations for tools, gear and money-saving deals on can’t miss DIY and home products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.