The 5 Best Men’s Work Boots for Dependable Performance
We found the best men's work boots to keep you comfortable, dry and protected while you're on the job.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
Choosing the best men’s work boots is an important task that can make long days on the job easier than ever. Combined with the best work socks and other practical gear like fleece vests and safety glasses, these rugged shoes provide safety, cushioning, shock absorption and protection from the elements.
What to Consider When Buying Men’s Work Boots
Whether you’re looking for men’s or or women’s work boots, it’s important to consider a few important factors to find the absolute best styles for every type of DIYer. Rugged materials, heel cushioning and thickness, toe reinforcement and ability to stand up to external elements are all essential. Here are the non-negotiables to consider:
- Safety: Choosing boots with safety toes adds a layer of protection when you’re working on the most dangerous and heavy-duty jobs. The most popular safety toe options are made of aluminum, composite and steel.
- Cushioning and thickness: Even on warm days, supportive work boots are important. The right cushioning and support gives your feet relief even after hours of standing, moving and building.
- Waterproof capabilities: Consider buying men’s work boots that are waterproof or have a water-resistant coating to keep your feet dry and comfortable when braving the elements.
How We Chose the Best Men’s Work Boots
As shopping experts, our only job is to help you find a winning product. We start with the research and reporting basics—what products are made of, what they look like and how much they cost—to ensure that we’re only recommending the buys that are worth your time and money. Then, we research the features that speak to the product’s quality, taking advice from industry insiders and subject matter experts on what makes a product a smart value (or worthy of a splurge). Finally, we do the work of combing through user reviews to see how real people interact with the product, and if it stands up to the test.
Best Overall Men’s Work Boots
Carhartt Rugged Flex Boots
The handsome Carhartt Rugged Flex work boots are sturdy enough to wear on the job and comfortable enough to sport every day. Grip-enhanced rubber outsoles keep you secure while working on slippery roofs and climbing ladder rungs. Weather-resistant uppers promise dry, toasty feet when the weather gets wet.
Extended sizing ranging from men’s 8 through 15 promise an excellent fit for almost everybody. A rubber toe and heel bumper offer stability and protection against mild and moderate workplace mishaps like fallen tools and pieces of wood. Wear them with your other Carhartt outdoor workwear essentials with confidence.
- Offers toe and heel protection
- Weather-resistant construction
- Rubber grips on soles to keep you safe on slippery surfaces
- Extended size range
- Added cushioning for comfort
- Reviewers note having to replace the laces once a year or so, but the boots themselves last for several years without worry
Best Reinforced Toe
Keen Pittsburgh Utility Boots
These rugged, durable Keen Pittsburgh Utility men’s work boots are as tough as they come. Shoppers rave about the three available color offerings and extended size range, but it’s the steel toe that impresses us most. The left and right asymmetrical steel toe design provides a roomier fit, the ultimate comfort and undeniable protection. They’re also waterproof.
“These shoes are a godsend for my husband,” writes verified Amazon purchaser, Penny Moloso. “He used to complain about foot pain with his other steel toe shoes. These are so comfortable that he doesn’t throw them off as soon as he gets home. He even has enough pep in his step to get some outdoor chores done before it gets dark vs. taking off his shoes, complaining of all over body pain and having to put his feet up for the night.”
- Thoughtful asymmetrical steel toe reinforcements
- Added comfort measures
- Rubber grip soles
- Waterproof construction
- Extended size range
- Some reviewers note having to replace the laces frequently, but only when they’re used in extreme weather
Best Budget Men’s Work Boots
Timberland White Ledge Ankle Boots
You don’t have to spend big to get a quality pair of men’s work boots. These Timberland ankle boots offer cushioned wearing perfect for long days, leather full-grain uppers and a 100% waterproof construction. Seam-sealed waterproofing and rust-proof hardware with hooks make these budget-friendly winners. The brand also makes some of the best women’s workwear.
“We live on extensive rural acreage where the only pavement is indoors. Much of what I do is strenuous and stumbly—often on muddy or very wet footing,” shares verified Amazon purchaser, David A. Buckley. “Traction and ankle support is essential. White Ledges are warm enough to wear in moderate winter snow conditions. They fit true to size, with comfortable support, and each pair lasted longer than I expected, considering the abusive application.”
- Waterproof construction and seaming
- Full-grain leather uppers
- Traction-enhanced rubber outsoles
- Rust-proof lace hardware
- Sizes 7 through 15, plus some wide widths
- Lower ankle height offers limited leg protection, if any, though it improves mobility
Best for Everyday Wear
Merrell Moab 2 Hiking Boots
While these Merrell Moab 2 hiking boots are designed for mountain treks, they’ve got what it takes to stand up to long days on the job. Waterproof construction, a moderate price point, heel and toe cushioning and rubber outsoles make these a winning choice for everyday wear and home DIY projects. Choose from dozens of color options and both regular and wide widths in sizes 8 through 14.
One five-star reviewer Doc calls them the “Best hikers ever!” Adding, “I wear them for work every day. Saves my feet while I am stomping around on concrete all day.” Another happy customer, Corey raves about the comfort level, saying, “I wear them every day at work and usually walk 2-3 miles a day. I have degenerative joint disease and both my knees are shot but these shoes keeps the pain to a minimum.”
- Comfortable and stylish enough to wear daily—even when you’re not on the job
- Waterproof construction
- Rubber outsoles with grips
- Added footbed cushioning that makes even the longest walks and days on your feet a breeze
- Regular and wide widths available up to size 15
- No toe reinforcements, so these are better suited for daily wear and home DIY projects
Bonus: Fans of the brand will also be excited about this gender-incluisve Merrell and Unlikely Hikers collab.
Best Boots for the Cold and Snow
Naot Stratton Boots
Cold, snowy days on the job aren’t a problem for these timeless Naot Stratton boots. When not at work, pair them with a parka, cozy fleece jacket and work gloves to use your handy snow removal equipment to clear blizzardous amounts of ice and snow.
This waterproof mid-calf snow-focused work boot is ideal for the coldest winter days thanks to a four-layer weather tech lining. Rated -20C/-4F, these also feature slip-resistant rubber soles with stainless steel studs that are comfortable to walk on icy surfaces. This style also features Naot’s removable anatomic cork and latex footbed and laces.
- Designed for snowy, icy and especially cold weather
- 11-inch shaft offers added protection against snow drifts and pockets
- Slip-resistant rubber outsole with stainless steel ice grip studs
- Removable footbed
- Can run a bit small, so size up
Shop smarter with our expert recommendations for tools, gear and money-saving deals on can’t miss DIY and home products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.