How to Get Pet Stains Out of Carpet
Home remedies and products to clean your pet-stained carpet.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
A full day
Less than $20
IntroductionIf you are a lover of pets, whether it be cats or dogs, your four-legged family members are bound to have some accidents on the carpet. No need to panic — here's how to remove them. Read on for some home remedies and our favorite enzyme products.
- Soft-bristle brush
- Spray Bottle
- Baking soda
- Dish soap
- Hydrogen peroxide
- White vinegar
Project step-by-step (6)
Act Immediately on New Stains
- It's important to take immediate action after discovering an accident.
- Remove vomit or feces using a plastic bag.
- Be careful not to embed anything further into the carpet fibers.
Blot, Don’t Rub
- Lay three or four paper towels over the soiled area. Blot, don’t rub, putting pressure on the towels and pulling the moisture out of the carpet.
- Note: Repeat this several times until the dry towels no longer absorb moisture. You may have to stand on the paper towel to get all the moisture out.
Home Made Cleaners
- Mix a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and cold water in a clean spray bottle.
- Or, mix 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide with two cups of water in a clean spray bottle.
- Pro Tip: Add a few drops of unscented dishwashing detergent to the hydrogen peroxide/water solution for added cleaning.
Lifting the Stain
- Spray a liberal amount of the cleaning solution to the stain so it soaks down into the carpet and pad.
- Lay three or four paper towels over the sprayed area and blot. Repeat this several times until the dry towels no longer absorb moisture
- Sprinkle baking soda directly on the stain. Spray more cleaning solution on the baking soda.
- Use a soft-bristled brush to work the baking soda into the fibers of the carpet.
- Let dry overnight and vacuum away the dried baking soda.
- Pro tip: If the soiled area is dry, wet it with cold water and let it sit for 15 minutes before blotting.
Here are a few enzyme cleaners on the market that work well for pet stains and odor elimination:
Wet Vac Carpet Cleaner
- For dried and set stains, you may want to consider renting a Wet Vac Carpet Cleaner or Carpet Spot Cleaner & Stair Detailer from your hardware store or rental center. Even some grocery stores rent them. These machines deep clean the carpet fibers, drawing out particles and dirty water.