How to Clean Oven Door Glass
Go where oven cleaner can't reach
A few hours
Less than $20
IntroductionCleaning between the glass panels of an oven door looks impossible, but all you really need to do is dissassemble the door. It's simple. Really.
- 4-in-1 screwdriver
- Glass cleaner
- Nylon scrub pad
- Paper towels
- Rubber gloves
It’s a mystery how baking slop gets deposited between oven door glass panels. But it’s clear that you can’t remove it and clean oven glass without disassembling the door. The job’s not that hard and takes less than an hour. Here’s how to clean between the glass on oven doors.
Project step-by-step (4)
Remove the Oven Door Panel
- Consult the manual for how to unlock the hinges and lift the door off your oven model.
- Remove the screws that secure the front panel to the oven door frame.
- Note their location and store them in a cup.
- Then carefully lift off the panel and set it aside.
Remove the Oven Door Glass
- Remove the screws from the glass hold-downs and set them aside.
- Note the location of the retaining tabs above and below the glass.
- Then lift off the glass and clean it.
- Handle the glass with care. It’s fragile and expensive to replace.
Clean the Glass
- Clean off the crud with a nylon scrub pad, hot water and degreaser.
- Rinse and dry, then clean with glass cleaner.
Reassemble the Oven Door
- Wear gloves to prevent fingerprints as you place the glass back onto the oven door.
- Be sure the glass sits inside the locating tabs before you reassemble the hold-downs.
- Then install the hold-down channels and screws and the trim panel.
- Put the door on the oven.
Up next, check out this safe option for cleaning your oven.
Originally Published: November 28, 2018