How to Install a Pendant Light
A simple project that will add another layer of light to your room.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
A few hours
IntroductionHanging a pendant light is a great way to bring light closer to you. Whether you're filling an entire room with light or just a small space, a pendant light is the perfect choice to add style and functionality.
- Wire stripper/cutter
- Measuring tape
- wire nuts
- pendant light
Project step-by-step (6)
Disconnect the power to the room
- Turn off the breaker switch at the distribution panel.
- Pro tip: Double check that power has been disconnected by using an electrical current detector.
Attach cross bar to the junction box
- The cross bar connects the bezel to the electrical box and provides the strength needed to support the light fixture.
- Attach the cross bar to the junction box with the supplied 8-32 thread screws.
Feed the electrical wire through the pendant rod
- Determine the length of rod for your pendant light.
- Feed the electrical wire through the center of the pendant rod and cut to length.
Attach the pendant rod to the ceiling cap
- This light uses a chain link to connect the pendant rod to the ceiling cap.
- Feed the wires through the cap and loop the chain link through the eyelets.
- Note: Some pendant lights use a threaded connector. Either way, the process is the same.