How to Install an Outdoor Security Camera
We'll walk you through the simple DIY and tech involved.
A few hours
IntroductionInstall a battery-powered, no-hassle, wire-free outdoor security camera.
- Cordless drill
- Phillips-head screwdriver
- Smart phone or tablet
- Outdoor security camera
Project step-by-step (7)
Initial Account Setup
- With your mobile device or tablet, search the app store for the brand of camera you have, then download the app.
- Create an account in the app using your email. You will also need a password.
- Verify your new account by entering a PIN code sent to your email.
- Protect your account with your phone number, so you receive text or voice calls to verify it’s really you making changes to your account.
Add a Sync Module and Create a System
- From the home screen, tap the “+” icon to add Blink device. (See photo.)
- On the next screen tap, “Blink wireless camera system.” (See photo.)
- Scan QR code on the back of the sync module.
- On the next screen, create a new system and name.
- Plug in your Sync Module and then wait for the light pattern of blinking blue and steady green, then tap “Discover Device.”
Connect to WiFi
- Next, you are asked to join your home WiFi network. You will need your WiFi password.
- Your new camera system name should appear at the top of the Home screen.
Onboarding the Camera
- Remove the back cover of the camera by turning the screw counter-clockwise and pulling the cover off the camera housing.
- From the home screen, tap the “+” icon to add wireless camera.
- On the next screen, tap “Blink wireless camera” and scan the QR code on the inside of the camera. (See photo.)
- Select the system to add the camera to. When onboarding is complete, tap “Done” to reach the Home screen.
- Install the batteries in the camera and secure the back cover by turning the screw clockwise.
- Place your camera in an area where you have the most surveillance coverage of your property.
- Keep in mind high traffic areas will trigger motion detection and constantly send you alerts on your device.
- If your camera needs a power source, you will need to install your camera near an outlet or have a way to get power to the camera.
- Placing the camera at least eight feet off the ground makes it more difficult to steal.
Installing the Camera
- Attach the camera mount to a solid surface using the two screws provided. It’s a good idea to pre-drill the holes.
- Press-fit the camera onto the connecting point of the mount. You should hear a click, indicating a secure attachment.
- Adjust the camera to the desired viewing zone.
- Once your home security system is up and running, learn its different features.
- Camera: Armed and disarmed.
- Motion Detection: Enable zones, sensitivity, motion recording, recording length and notifications.
- Night Vision: Control (on, off, auto), IR intensity (low, med, high).
- Audio: Enable microphone, speaker volume.
- Video: Quality (saver, standard, best).
- Photo Capture: Enable (on, off).
Originally Published: January 13, 2021